PAUL TAYLOR SHIELD
Channel Island Inter-Tower 6 Bell Striking Competition
The bell towers of the Channel Islands became a District of the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers in 1981. At the same time they decided to initiate a six-bell inter-tower striking competition to be held alongside the Annual District Meeting.
Tony Wolstenholme, a supporter of St Anne’s tower, Alderney, offered to provide a trophy as a permanent memorial to his late wife Patricia. Renewing his war-time friendship with Paul Taylor, owner of the John Taylor Bell Foundry at Loughborough, he was given a special casting, the Brasier-Watts Shield which depicts three bells, the mediaeval trademark of the forerunners of the John Taylor Bell Founders. A number of these shields were cast in bell metal – one of which forms the centre piece of the Channel Island Inter- Tower 6 Bell Striking Competition. This casting has been mounted on wood which carries the inscriptions ‘Our Mouths Shall Shew Forth Thy Praise’ and ‘In Memory of Patricia Wolstenholme 1923-1981’. It is known as The Paul Taylor Shield.
Paul Taylor died shortly after the first competition in 1981, which was won by St Anne’s tower. In 1982 and 1983 Mrs Merle Taylor, widow of Paul, presented the trophy, again won by St Anne’s tower. The venue for the competition rotates around the towers of Alderney, Guernsey and Jersey annually each September.
On the reverse side of the trophy are miniature shields inscribed with the names of the winning towers
|1985||St Michel du Valle||Guernsey|
|2003||St Michel du Valle||Guernsey|
|2005||St Pierre du Bois||Guernsey|
|2006||St Pierre du Bois||Guernsey|
|2008||St Michel du Valle||Guernsey|
|1991||St Michel du Valle||Guernsey|
|1997||St Marguerite de la Foret||Guernsey|